Total Pageviews

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

A How To for Theresa!

I had a comment on my last post from Theresa who wanted to know how I painted the lids for my jars.


Well Theresa, here you go...
First I sanded both lids and the knobs with some sandpaper http://woodzone.com/Merchant2/articles/sandpaper/index.htm (sandpaper guide) to help the paint stick to the surface (I used 150 grit). I then painted the lids by using white craft paint by Apple Barrel.  I did two coats...using a hairdryer (to speed up the process...but I think the HOT heat from the hairdryer gave the paint a crackle affect...? Then I took 220 grit sandpaper to the edges and knobs until the wood started to show through. After sanding, I took a sponge brush and applied a coat of Minwax  stain in dark walnut. http://www.minwax.com/wood-products/stains-color-guide/ (color of stains) Then I took a clean cloth and quickly wiped the stain away...this enhances the color of the wood but makes the paint look old. I then sprayed a clear coat of polyurethane in a satin finish (can be found at Wal-mart in the paint dept.) just to seal the deal! 
CLICK HERE TO LEARN MORE ABOUT DARK WALNUT 2716                       MINWAX® WOOD FINISH™   
FastDrying Polyurethane, Spray Satin

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I love how they turned out~ you make it sound so easy~ love the color~
    thanks for sharing~
    smiles
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great, thanks! I think I could attempt this. I love how yours turned out. I saw jars very similar to yours that I could practice on.,

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete

Hey guys! I love to get comments, they really makes me smile. ☺ So what are you waiting for...